- Study specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts.
- Sets up and operates machine tools such as lathes, milling machine, shaper, and grinder, to machine parts, and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
- Examines standard or previously used dies, tools, jigs and fixtures, and recommends design modifications regarding construction and function of part.
- Make new parts for molds according to print plus grind stock before heat-treating
- Plans and constructs intricate tools, dies, fixtures, molds, and gauges where accurate relationship, fitting, interchangeability of parts require extremely close tolerances to fits.
Education and/or Experience
- Requires four-year apprenticeship or its equivalent plus four years or more of experience in the construction, alteration or repair of complicated tools, dies, molds and gauges to meet standards.